Tulip Tea I (WIP)

Tulip Tea I (WIP) 1 - Marie Cameron 2015

I’ve begun a new bird & teacup piece. This time a Purple Finch (the only red bird I’ve shot) with a Coalport teacup paired with some vintage redwork embroidery, calico and red and white striped tulips. I start, as always with a loose, painting directly on the prepared board.

Tulip Tea I (WIP) 2 - Marie Cameron 2015

I really should have worked the background first but I decided to block in my reds instead.

Tulip Tea I (WIP) 3 - Marie Cameron 2015

Eager to see some tulip action I painted these in loosely as well, letting the pigment pull through the brush strokes.

Tulip Tea I (WIP) 4  -  Marie Cameron 2015

I was eager to see the finch too .

Tulip Tea I (WIP) 5 - Marie Cameron 2015

I worked on the teacup next, as it supports both the flowers and bird, I wanted to make sure they felt well integrated.

Tulip Tea I (WIP) 6 - Marie Cameron 2015

Dobbing in the foreground to feel where the shadows would fall.

Tulip Tea I (WIP) 7 - Marie Cameron 2015

Filling in the vintage linen embroidery backdrop I experimented with a crosshatched look.

Tulip Tea I (WIP) 8 - Marie Cameron 2015

Dropping the crosshatching, I tried more definition and a brighter backdrop.

Tulip Tea I (WIP) 9 - Marie Cameron 2015

Wanting a deeper shadow I try blocking in dome darks but the grays are all still too wet.

Tulip Tea I (WIP) 10 - Marie Cameron 2015

I end up wiping it off down to the initial sketch with a rag dampened with mineral spirits.

Tulip Tea I (WIP) 11 - Marie Cameron 2015

I begin to apply the darks in a more controlled way – a muddy mess is a nightmare!

More to come….

Tulip Tea I  - 12x12 inches - Oil on Board - Marie Cameron - 2015

Finished!  I’ve messed around with little details until the painting told me I was done.